Hydropower Development, Study and Design Directorate
Hydropower Development, Study and Design Directorate is one of the directorates which are organized under the Ministry of Water Irrigation and Electricity to accomplish the ministry’s energy development strategic theme. Its main role and responsibility are the following:
- To undertake and follow up the study and design of small, medium and large hydropower projects as client.
- Conduct reconnaissance, prefeasibility and feasibility studies of hydropower planned projects and prepare candidate projects for further implementation and construction.
- Study the country’s hydro power potential, prepare hydro power potential master plan and when necessary update the master plan.
- Devise different capacity building strategy to be self sufficient in the study and design of small and medium hydropower projects.
Short Description of Projects Recently Understudy by the Directorate
- TAMS Prefeasibility and Feasibility Study Hydropower Project
TAMS Prefeasibility and Feasibility Study Hydropower project is located in Gambella National Regional State in Anuak Zone at a distance of 720 km from Addis Ababa. TAMS hydropower project site lay in Baro River Basin. Its geographic location is 711085 UTM East and 906860 UTM North.
The project commences on July 2006 E.C and the prefeasibility and feasibility study conducted for the last three years and is completed end of June 2009 E.C. According to the final Feasibility Study it has a generating capacity of 2000MW electric power.
The project is studied by the Italian consulting firm called ELC-ELECTRO CONSULT as consultant and the contractor is Ethiopian construction Design and Supervision Works Corporation.
All project cost is fully covered from Ethiopian government treasury.
- Dabus Prefeasibility and Feasibility Study Hydropower project
Dabus Prefeasibility and Feasibility study Hydropower project is located in Benishangul National Regional State Assosa Zone at a distance of 640 km from Addis Ababa. Dabus hydropower project is site lay in Abay river basin. Its geographic location is 705605 UTM East and 1087644 UTM North.
The Prefeasibility Study commences on October 2008 E.C and is completed on June 2008 E.C. The Feasibility Study is planned to finalize this budget year, 2010 E.C. According to the Prefeasibility Study the project is expected to generate 326MW electric power. The final generating capacity will be determined when the Feasibility Study is completed.
The consultant who currently carrying out the study work is an Italian consulting firm called STUDIO ING.G PIETRANGELI.
The total project cost will be fully covered by Ethiopian government.
- Wabe Prefeasibility and Feasibility Study Hydropower project
Wabe Prefeasibility and Feasibility Study Hydropower project is located in South National Regional State Gurage Zone at a distance of 158km from Addis Ababa. Wabe hydropower project is site lay in Omo-Gibbe river basin. Its geographic location is 360481.3 UTM East and 910231.27 UTM North.
The Reconnaissance Study conducted previously show that the Wabe hydropower project has 114MW electric power generating capacity.
The Prefeasibility and Feasibility Study is planned to undertake in the current budget year, 2010E.C.